Some users are reporting unexpected results when using Total Visual Agent to schedule tasks. Tasks may not run, or events may not seem to update properly in the Total Visual Agent Manager.
Note how in the above figure, there was a task scheduled to run at 10:40AM, however, there is no processing activity and Total Visual Agent simply re-schedules for the following day.
Windows is not allowing users without Full Control permissions to modify the Total Visual Agent settings database, TVAgent.MDB. It’s normally located in the C:\ProgramData\FMS\Total Visual Agent\16.0 folder.
Instead, Windows is making a copy of that database in the user’s VirtualStore folder: C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\ProgramData\FMS\Total Visual Agent\16.0
Beyond Total Visual Agent’s control, the Manager is using and storing its settings in the TVAgent16.MDB file in that VirtualStore folder. When the Total Visual Agent Monitor or Service programs run, it’s not expecting the settings files to be there since it’s looking in the C:\ProgramData folder.
Total Visual Agent needs to be installed by an account with Full Control permissions on the target workstation. In addition, Total Visual Agent must be run by an account with Full Control permissions to the C:\ProgramData\FMS\Total Visual Agent\16.0 folder
If Total Visual Agent does not have Full Control permissions to that folder, then changes that you make in the Manager will not get written to the settings database, and therefore, Monitor will not be able to read them and act on them.
The following steps should correct the problem. There are two sections. The first is confirming the user account has proper permissions. The second is backing up and recovering your settings.
Confirming the user account
- Using Windows File Explorer, ensure that the user account has Full Control to C:\ProgramData\FMS\Total Visual Agent\16.0
Note that simply because a user is in the Administrator's group, does not mean that Full Control is applied to the target folder. In internal testing, a Domain Administrator account failed to work due to the user being in other, less-privileged, groups as well.
- If the user account is not shown in the Security tab, then it must be added.
- Click the Edit Button
- Click the Add Button
- Type the user name and click Check Names.
- Click Ok, confirm that the user account has Full Control and if it does, click Ok
Backing up and recovering your settings
- Using Windows File Explorer, copy the C:\ProgramData\FMS\Total Visual Agent\16.0 folder to a safe location.
- In the C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\ProgramData\FMS\Total Visual Agent\16.0 folder, copy the TVAgent16.MDB file and the TVAgent-Data.MDB file to C:\ProgramData\FMS\Total Visual Agent\16.0
Note that TVAgent16.MDB is the settings database where your events and schedules are stored. TVAgent-Data.MDB is the log file.
- Rename the C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\ProgramData\FMS\Total Visual Agent\16.0 folder to 16.0-bak
Note that if you do not rename the VirtualStore folder, Windows will continue to direct Total Visual Agent to the VirtualStore and the problem will continue. By not seeing the files in the VirtualStore, it will correctly use the files in the C:\ProgramData folder.